Brian Urlacher Contract

Urlacher_inside111312

Bears general manager is still looking ro re-sign middle line-backer Brain Urlacher on Wednseday. Brian was voted for eight probowl in 13 seasons. He was name defensive player in 2005. But came off to a slow start in 2012 from his knee injury. Emery is saying that Brain can go for at least one more year. But Urlacher is not really sure on what he should do as of now.

Advertisements

Gov. wants to toss NCAA sanctions against PSU

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) — Pennsylvania’s governor says he intends to file a federal antitrust lawsuit against the NCAA in an effort to overturn what he said were ”harsh penalties” against Penn State because of the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal.

Gov. Tom Corbett, flanked by members of his staff and current and former students and athletes from the school, says the NCAA punished students, the community and businesses around the university, not the former assistant football coach who molested children.

The sanctions imposed in July included a $60 million fine for child abuse prevention grants, a four-year bowl game ban for the university’s marquee football program and the forfeiture of 112 wins.

Corbett says the lawsuit to be filed later Wednesday would show the NCAA actions were overreaching and unlawful

49ers add Billy Cundiff, carrying two kickers

The San Francisco 49ers are so concerned about David Akers they are going to carry two kickers on their 53-man roster heading toward their divisional round playoff game in 1 ½ weeks.

Veteran Billy Cundiff was signed Tuesday giving coach Jim Harbaugh an option as preparations continue. It’s not definite the Niners will have two kickers on the 53-man roster come next weekend, but it’s certainly possible.

Cundiff won a two-man tryout with Justin Medlock, according to Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee. Akers has been inconsistent this season, particularly from beyond 40 yards, but Harbaugh has stuck with him to this point.

It was quite a competition as Cundiff made all 22 field-goal attempts and Medlock was 21 of 22, according to Barrows.

The Niners waived outside linebacker Eric Bakhtiari in order to make room for Cundiff.

Follow me on Twitter: @BradBiggs

Brad Biggs covers the Bears for the Chicago Tribune

Follow @footballpost on Twitter for the latest news This story originally appeared on Nationalfootballpost.com

Rehabbing Rose joins Bulls in Florida

ORLANDO, Fla. — Chicago Bulls point guard Derrick Rose traveled with the team Tuesday night to Florida and will be with them all week as he continues his rehab from a torn left ACL.

This is the first trip with the Bulls for the former MVP since tearing his ACL in the first game of the Eastern Conference playoffs against the Philadelphia 76ers on April 28. Rose was rehabbing in the Los Angeles area when the Bulls faced the  Clippers on Nov. 17, but this will mark the first time Rose has accompanied the team and its medical staff since his surgery May 12.

It is still unclear as to when Rose will return to the floor, but Bulls head coach Tom Thibodeau admitted recently that Rose has started doing the non-contact drills in practice. Thibodeau has stated repeatedly that Rose is still ‘a ways away’ from playing in a game and hasn’t started taking contact in practice.

Rose has been running and cutting for several weeks and seems to be in better spirits around the United Center and the Berto Center. The Bulls play the Orlando Magic on Wednesday and the Miami Heat on Friday.

As Rose continues his rehab, the Bulls shored up their point guard rotation by fully guaranteeing Nate Robinson‘s contract for the rest of the season, according to a source familiar with the situation. The Chicago Tribune reported earlier that Robinson’s deal would be guaranteed. The move did not come as a surprise given that Robinson, who signed a partially guaranteed deal as a free agent before the season, has been a spark-plug off the Bulls’ bench this year, scoring 11 points and dishing out four assists a game.

Osi Umenyiora: A ‘high probability’ of leaving Giants

135530-330-0

After 10 years with the New York Giants, defensive end Osi Umenyiora says it’s highly unlikely he’ll be back with the team.

In a conference call with reporters, Umenyiora said there’s a “high probability” he will be moving on. Umenyiora will be a free agent after the season and has had highly publicized contract disagreements with the Giants in the past.

Osi Umenyiora says it’s unlikely he’ll be back with the Giants after 10 years with the team. (AP Photo)

“Is there a high probability that I am going to be playing somewhere else?” Umenyiora, a two-time Pro Bowl selection, asked. “I would say there is a high probability, and that is just me being honest. I am not certain of what is going to happen. Anything can happen.

“We can get into the playoffs. Anything is possible. But it’s a high probability that I’m going to be playing somewhere else, and I think everybody knows that. Let’s not kid ourselves.”

A year after winning the Super Bowl, the Giants are unlikely to reach the postseason. To get in, they have to beat the Eagles at home Sunday, and Minnesota, Chicago and Dallas all have to lose.

Umenyiora, 31, has played in all 15 of the Giants’ games this season, including three starts, and has six sacks and two forced fumbles. If he doesn’t add to his sack total, it would be his lowest amount since he collected six in 2006.

He says he considers himself a starter and not merely a pass-rush specialist, which is largely how the Giants have used him this season

“I’m not a situational pass rusher,” Umenyiora said. “I think that’s the word that’s been going around me for years because most people don’t know what they’re talking about.

“But there’s no football person who’s going to actually sit there and watch tape and not think that I’m a starter in this league, and I’m 100 percent sure of that.”

Tim Tebow snubbed again with Mark Sanchez starting Jets’ finale

135740-330-0

The sooner this season ends for the Jets and Tim Tebow, the better.

Mark Sanchez will return as the starting quarterback Sunday, replacing Greg McElroy, who is out with a concussion. Jets coach Rex Ryan announced the quarterback switch Thursday morning, adding the latest twist to an already twisted Jets season.

PHOTOS: Tebow’s year in review

Rex Ryan again bypassed Tim Tebow. (AP Photo)

The decision could be viewed as another slap in the face to Tebow. Sanchez has regressed this season despite Ryan’s loyalty, and when the Jets fell out of playoff contention.

The bottom fell out for Sanchez when he threw four interceptions in Week 15. Ryan finally benched Sanchez for Week 16, but started McElroy instead of Tebow.

That decision upset Tebow, who spent almost the entire season listed as the No. 2 quarterback. Now with McElroy out, Ryan has turned to Sanchez again, instead of giving Tebow a chance to start and showcase himself for other teams. Tebow is expected to head elsewhere next season, with the Jaguars reported as one likely destination.

Apparently, Ryan would apparently prefer to start almost anyone available except Tebow. Maybe Vinny Testaverde should be loosening up his arm for a comeback.

Lock of the Week

Peyton Manning has made Denver one of the NFL’s most boring teams, and that’s a compliment. During their 10-game winning streak, the Broncos have hardly been challenged, as they have methodically put away opponents with Manning leading a ball-control offense. The Chiefs are more boring, and for a different reason—their dismal offense. At least they’ll leave Denver with the No. 1 overall draft pick. Prediction: Broncos 50, Chiefs 13

Dave Bolland regrets retweet

ESPN.com news services

632
261
1K
Email
Print

Chicago Blackhawks center Dave Bolland has expressed regret for retweeting a post that called for commissioner Gary Bettman’s death, saying it was a mistake.

As the lockout continues to drag on, Bolland on Friday reposted a Twitter entry that read: “can I get a RT for wanting Bettman dead?”

The retweet later was deleted.

Cross Checks Blog

Scott Burnside and Pierre LeBrun write about all things happening in the NHL. Cross Checks

“It was a mistake, I never meant to retweet that out,” Bolland told ESPN.com’s Pierre LeBrun. “I like to retweet for a lot of my fans, and I just retweeted the wrong thing. I feel bad about it.”

It’s not the first time controversy has found Bolland. In a radio interview last year, Bolland referred to Daniel Sedin and Henrik Sedin of the Vancouver Canucks as “sisters” and the city of Vancouver as “weirdos.”

The Twitter development also continued a trend of apparent ire with Bettman, who is overseeing a lockout for the third time since he became commissioner in 1993. The last lockout forced the cancellation of the entire 2004-05 season.

Detroit Red Wings defenseman Ian White recently called Bettman an “idiot,” and Florida Panthers forward Kris Versteeg referred to Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly as “cancers.”

On Friday, the NHL announced another round of cancellations, wiping out all regular-season games through Dec. 14, as well as the All-Star Game in Columbus, Ohio, originally slated for Jan. 27.

The lockout now has cost the league 422 regular-season games — 34.3 percent of the season — as well as its regular-season marquee events; the annual Winter Classic was canceled earlier this month.

There are no new labor talks scheduled

Stock Watch: Peppers’ healthy effort

Julius Peppers, DE: Peppers has put together arguably his three strongest performances of the season in consecutive games dating back to Dec. 9, and has generated 4.5 sacks in those outings, including three against the Cardinals. Peppers played through plantar fasciitis earlier in the season, and based on his recent production the pain from that injury must be subsiding. Peppers contributed six tackles, knocked down a pass, and forced a fumble on Sunday, in addition to being credited for three quarterback pressures. With Henry Melton out of action the Bears needed more production from Peppers. He certainly stepped up to the challenge.